Step Up: Food from the Heart
Time & Place
About The Event
With the cost of living in Seattle being so high food banks have become a lifeline for many people. Before COVID hit, Rainier Valley Food Bank was the busiest food bank in Seattle. Since COVID, the number of people needing food has grown dramatically. And the effects of COVID mean that our economy will take a while to recover and as a result, the increased demand on food banks will remain for at least a few more years. Join YP Impact as we volunteer in-person with the Rainier Valley Food Bank.Volunteer Options:
We realize different people have different comfort levels in volunteering, so we have 2 options for volunteering, both following COVID safety guidelines:
- Pack bags of groceries and work in the warehouse. Volunteers will be social distanced and will wear masks and gloves. Shift begins at 9am.
- Deliver bags of groceries to people’s homes. Routes last about 1 hour and drivers are scheduled to pick up bags in 15-minute shifts to allow for social distancing. Shifts run between 10am and 2:30pm. Pick your shift from the drop down.*
*A no-cost background check is performed on delivery drivers for liability reasons. You will be asked your car type during signup to best plan for how many bags can be put in your vehicle and what route you should be assigned.Safety Guidelines
Volunteers will be required to practice social distancing onsite.
All volunteers will go through a symptom check and have their temperature taken upon arrival.
All volunteers are asked to bring a mask. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided to you.
To volunteer onsite or for driver/delivery roles you must:
- Be free from symptoms indicative of COVID-19 for at least 14 days.
- Have not been in contact with anyone who has exhibited symptoms indicative of COVID-19 in the past 14 days, or that is not practicing social distancing.
- Please do not volunteer onsite if you are at high risk for COVID-19, including medical conditions that would make you vulnerable to COIVD-19 (e.g. chronic lung disease, moderate to severe asthma, a serious heart condition, immunocompromised [including cancer treatment] uncontrolled diabetes, renal failure, or liver disease, pregnancy).
For over 30 years Rainier Valley Food Bank has operated as a pillar of support, compassion, and community within South Seattle and beyond. Our mission is to not only nourish our neighbors with fresh food but to provide services that our clients can access with dignity and respect without any barriers. We believe in order to solve food insecurity, you have to address the root causes of hunger and poverty. That is why our work is rooted in food-sovereignty and social justice. Looking to the future, we are excited to continue growing and offering more services/programs that are built for the community by the community.About YP Impact:
YP Impact is the charitable arm of YPCommunities, formed in response to young professionals (professionals young at heart) wanting to make a difference in their community. We empower connection, inspire change and create impact through quarterly campaigns focused on different social issues and featuring reputable nonprofits. We offer a different kind of professional networking, building community among like-minded young professionals and the issues that are most important to them.